Closeup of bridge from old Postcard
Only the end abutments remain today. Piers and rest are gone.
Penny Postcard site
BH Photo #139319
An Alvin Holmes photo shows this bridge still extant in 1942 and is labeled as "Morrison's wrought iron bridge"
A 1936 description of this bridge said it had a "roller coaster floor".
Original bridge across Wabash connecting Pittsburg and Delphi, possible toll bridge at one time. Connecting roads on South approach are long gone and now US 421/Ind 39/Ind 18's bridge is located just Downstream replacing this lost structure.
- Lost 4 span bowstring through truss bridge over Wabash River on former County Road 310 North in Pittsburg
- Pittsburg, Carroll County, Indiana
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1868, bypassed in 1935, demolished 1948
- - Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio
- D.H. Morrison
- Wrought iron Bowstring pony truss
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.59358, -86.69767 (decimal degrees)
40°35'37" N, 86°41'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/525581/4493685 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 42467 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 26, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
- January 18, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: moved pin onto remains of pier
- January 15, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
- July 24, 2014: Updated by Luke: Added loss date per forum comment
- October 30, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added "roller coaster floor"
- August 31, 2010: New photo from Richard Hendrix
- August 14, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added builder
- April 28, 2009: Added by James Norwood
- James Norwood
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Richard Hendrix
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
- Jacob P. Bernard
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com