Nickel Plate-St. Mary's River Bridge (Southern)
The bridge in front is the Southern span
Likely taken from the Main Street Bridge. It was another of the beautiful "City" Whipple trusses.
Pre 1923 photo
BH Photo #471946
This was the Southern of two spans built by the Nickel Plate Railroad about 1895. It was a single-track bridge that was used mainly for passenger trains. It's removal was unfortunate because the pair together made for a beautiful picture.
A big Thank You to Laura Weston and Craig Berndt for information on this bridge!
- Lost Camelback through truss bridge over St Mary's River on Railroad
- Ft. Wayne, Allen County, Indiana
- Removed but not replaced
- Built ca. 1895 by the Nickel Plate Railroad; removed sometime prior to 1981.
- - New York, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad (NKP)
- 9-panel, pinned Camelback through truss
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.07928, -85.15374 (decimal degrees)
41°04'45" N, 85°09'13" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/655090/4549200 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 89259 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 12, 2020: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added categories "9-panel truss", "Pin-connected", "Skewed"
- May 12, 2020: Updated by Luke: Added railroad's category