Rating:
No votes cast

Middle Fork Vermilion River Tributary Bridge

Photos 

Armstrong Bridge in the distance north

Photo taken by Steve Conro in April 2021

Enlarge

BH Photo #497911

Facts 

Overview
Concrete pony/through girder bridge over Unnamed creek on abandoned 350 E Rd
Location
Vermilion County, Illinois
Status
Open to traffic
Future prospects
Demolition and replacement in progress in 2020! As of 04/21 it had been bypassed by a new bridge to the south and left alone.
History
Built 1916
Builder
- Jesse Stone
Design
Concrete Pony through girder
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 41.7 ft.
Total length: 43.3 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.29561, -87.87727   (decimal degrees)
40°17'44" N, 87°52'38" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/425439/4460936 (zone/easting/northing)
Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
125
Inventory number
BH 89882 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of January 2018)
Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 38.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Categories 

Built 1916 (727)
Built during 1910s (9,968)
Concrete girder (1,073)
Doomed (1,063)
Girder (11,163)
Illinois (4,927)
Jesse Stone (1)
Open (40,960)
Owned by township (3,276)
Span length 25-50 feet (16,216)
Through girder (4,185)
Total length 25-50 feet (11,498)
Vermilion County, Illinois (149)

Update Log 

  • May 5, 2021: New photos from Steve Conro
  • July 8, 2020: Added by Nathan Holth

Sources 

Comments 

TR 42A Bridge
Posted August 30, 2020, by RDB (bluehavanaross [at] gmail [dot] com)

The bridge is still standing but closed to all traffic. A new bridge has been built connecting 2950N Rd, and the road going over the main Middle Fork bridge to the north now curves around the creek to connect at the west end of the new bridge.