Sangamon Valley Trail - Spring Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in March 2015
BH Photo #320198
This bridge was part of an abandoned segment of the St. Louis, Peoria and North Western Railway, later consolidated into the Chicago and North Western Railroad. It was constructed in 1911-1913 with $10.0 million in capital raised by the Chicago and North Western Railway to haul coal from Macoupin County mines operated by the Superior Coal Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Chicago and Northwestern. The six Macoupin coal mines served by the St. Louis, Peoria and Northwestern yielded an estimated 2.0 million tons of coal annually, almost all of which was burned by the Chicago and North Western in its steam railway operations.
1-116' Secondhand Lattice Truss from Geneva, Illinois (Built 1883, Re-Erected 1921)
2-85' Deck Girder (Built 1921)
1-60' Deck Girder (Built 1913 as main span, moved in structure 1921)
- Lattice deck truss bridge over Spring Creek on Sangamon Valley Trail (Rail-Trail)
- Sangamon County, Illinois
- Open to pedestrians only
- Truss built 1883 in Geneva, Illinois; Original Bridge Built 1913, Bridge Rebuilt 1919-1921; Converted to trail 2011
- - Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- St. Louis, Peoria & North Western Railway (StLP&NW)
- 1 lattice deck truss, three girder spans, and additional approach spans.
Length of largest span: 116.0 ft.
Total length: 352.0 ft.
- Also called
- C&NW Bridge #1863
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.81263, -89.71132 (decimal degrees)
39°48'45" N, 89°42'41" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/267915/4410478 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Springfield West
- Inventory number
- BH 45592 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 1, 2018: Updated by John Marvig: Added information from blueprints
- March 30, 2015: New photos from Steve Conro
- January 12, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Changed status and added railway history
- July 6, 2010: Added by Nathan Holth