Big Muddy River Bridge
Modern aerial imagery suggests that Lally columns are still standing on the Jackson County side with a concrete or stone abutment on the Union County side. The distance between shores is 290 feet, which would suggest that this was a large through truss bridge.
The Alto Pass 1:62500 quadrangle map from 1922 clearly shows this bridge. Aerial imagery from 1938 shows that a new bridge had been built upstream on Highway 3 and this bridge since removed.
- Lost bridge over Big Muddy River on Grand Tower-Wolf Lake road (predecessor to IL 3)
- Jackson County, Illinois, and Union County, Illinois
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.56559, -89.48008 (decimal degrees)
37°33'56" N, 89°28'48" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/280959/4160509 (zone/easting/northing)
- Land survey
- T. 11 S., R. 3 W., Sec. 18
- Inventory number
- BH 81313 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 22, 2018: Added by James Baughn