3 votes

L'Erable Bridge


Photo taken by Gene Smania

BH Photo #196816



Two-span through truss bridge over Iroquois River on TR 59, 1.25 mi. east of Lerable
Iroquois County, Illinois
Collapsed due to abutment failure during a flood
Built 1903, collapsed in 2005
- Clinton Bridge & Iron Works of Clinton, Iowa
Pennsylvania through truss
Length of largest span: 201.0 ft.
Total length: 404.7 ft.
Deck width: 15.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.1 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.90183, -87.82200   (decimal degrees)
40°54'07" N, 87°49'19" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/430765/4528184 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Inventory numbers
IL 038-4504 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 15314 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • December 23, 2020: New photos from Steve Conro
  • March 4, 2012: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Alternate name
  • April 4, 2011: New photos from Jacob P. Bernard
  • January 31, 2009: Updated by Anthony Dillon


  • Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • Jacob P. Bernard
  • Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
  • Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com


Iroquois River Bridge
Posted March 4, 2012, by Ed Hollowell (erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com)

I am thinking that the stone pier on a bridge of 1905 might have been reused from an earlier (covered) bridge? The pier may have been much older.

Iroquois River Bridge
Posted March 8, 2011, by Gene Smania

Structure inventory number was 038-4504. Local resident stated he rode his ATV across it one night, the next day it collapsed. River was flooding and masonry pier/s failed. Final photo is after some of steel had been removed from channel.

Iroquois River Bridge
Posted November 16, 2010, by Anthony M Minard (Minardanthony [at] yahoo [dot] com)

are there any pictures of this bridge out there any where?

Iroquois River Bridge
Posted January 31, 2009, by mrvince (mrvince188 [at] yahoo [dot] com)

This bridge collapsed about 2005, It had been closed for years. No one saw it, just one day it was in the river.