I&M Canal Aux Sable Aqueduct
Photo taken by Steve Conro in November 2011
BH Photo #219767
Originally completed in 1847 this aqueduct consisted of a two-span, timber Howe truss design resting on Limestone piers and abutments. The wood structure was replaced by the present steel trough structure in 1927-1928. The Limestone piers were reinforced in 1948. Wooden Laminated arches were added and piers were extended to add bike trail passage.
- Bridge over Aux Sable Creek on I&M Canal
- Grundy County, Illinois
- Open to foot, bike and canoe traffic
- Built in 1847, Rebuilt in 1927
- Riveted Steel Plate Trough resting in Ashlar Limestone piers and abutments
Total length: 136.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.39625, -88.33036 (decimal degrees)
41°23'46" N, 88°19'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/388786/4583599 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 49812 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 6, 2011: New photos from Steve Conro
- October 18, 2011: New photos from James McCray
- October 15, 2011: Added by Steve Conro