Grand Avenue Union Pacific Railroad Bridge
Photo taken by Royce and Bobette Haley in November 2015
BH Photo #346094
Oldest bridge in Chicago or Cook County still in service. Carries Metra and Union Pacific trains over several city streets at a diagonal angle.
- Deck plate girder bridge over W Grand Ave and N Union Ave on UPRR
- Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built ca 1888 reconstructed 1977
- - Metra (METX)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- Deck plate girder multi beam
Length of largest span: 87.9 ft.
Total length: 220.2 ft.
Deck width: 47.9 ft.
- Skew angle
- 45 degrees
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.89121, -87.64548 (decimal degrees)
41°53'28" N, 87°38'44" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/446451/4637899 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Chicago Loop
- Inventory number
- BH 70159 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 18, 2017: Updated by Roger Deschner: Merge NBI data; add street views; noted it is oldest in-service bridge in Cook County
- January 17, 2016: New photo from Royce and Bobette Haley
- November 29, 2015: Added by Royce and Bobette Haley