LaSalle Street Bridge
When I think of a bascule bridge in Chicago, this is the bridge that I immediately think of. This bridge has been in several movie shoots.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in May 2010
BH Photo #164758
The development of the Chicago trunion bascule bridge occurred during the first three decades of the twentieth century. Despite the controversy over patent infringement--Joseph E. Strauss charged the City of Chicago engineers with infringing on his patented Strauss-Trunion bascule bridge--the Chicago bascule received great acclaim within the civil engineering profession. The LaSalle Street Bridge was erected in the late 1920s after Chicago's city engineers had refined their design of the trunion bascule span.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Bascule bridge over Main Branch Chicago River on N. LaSalle Street in Chicago
- Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built 1928
- - Donald Becker (Designer)
- Strobel Steel Construction Co. of Chicago, Illinois (Builder)
- Thomas G. Pihlfeldt (Engineer)
Length of largest span: 242.0 ft.
Total length: 347.0 ft.
Deck width: 56.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.88806, -87.63222 (decimal degrees)
41°53'17" N, 87°37'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/447549/4637540 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Chicago Loop
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- IL 016-6032 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 15157 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 13.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 15, 2018: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- January 21, 2016: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- December 1, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- January 26, 2015: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- October 8, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- May 15, 2010: New photos from J.R. Manning
- May 10, 2010: New photo from J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Douglas Butler
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- HAER IL-66 - Chicago River Bascule Bridge, LaSalle Street, Spanning Chicago River at North LaSalle Street, Chicago, Cook County, IL
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Dana and Kay Klein