View beside bridge.
Photo By Iowa Department of Transportation
BH Photo #163129
Dedication Plaque - Mounted on the Northeast Jersey Barrier
Written by J.R. Manning
COMMUNITY SPIRIT AND CIVIC PRIDE
BUILT THIS BRIDGE
THE LOYALTY AND COURAGE OF THE PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITIES ALONG THE "SHORTENED ROUTE" WHICH HAS BEEN CREATED BY THIS RIVER CROSSING, ARE THE THINGS WHICH HAVE MADE THIS STRUCTURE POSSIBLE.SAVANNA - SABULA BRIDGE COMPANY
REALIZING THE NECESSITY OF PROVIDING MORE ADEQUATE TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES TO KEEP UP WITH THE EVER INCREASING DEMANDS OF TRAFFIC, AND DESIRING TO STIMULATE STILL FURTHER COMMERCIAL INTERCOURSE BETWEEN THE STATES OF IOWA AND ILLINOIS AS WELL AS AS TO PROVIDE FOR THE COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE OF THE MOTOR TRAVELLING PUBLIC, THE CITIZENS OF OF THE COMMUNITIES ALONG THIS ROUTE HAVE BANDED TOGETHER IN A COMMON EFFORT TO TRUN THEIR DREAMS INTO A PHYSICAL REALITY.
WITH BOUNDLESS FAITH AND UNLIMITED COURAGE, THEY HAVE "CARRIED ON" THRU EVERY HAZARD, MEETING EACH REBUKE WITH RENEWED ENERGY AND INCREASED DETERMINATION TO WIN.
THE PHYSICAL RESULTS OF THEIR EFFORTS ARE BEFORE YOU IN THESE BRIDGES AND CONNECTING HIGHWAYS. THE LESS TANGIBLE RESULTS OF PROMOTING THE COMMON WELFARE CAN ONLY BE MEASURED IN THE YEARS OF SERVICE AHEAD.
TO THESE, THE COMMUNITIES ALONG THE NEW ROUTE BETWEEN CHICAGO AND CEDAR RAPIDS, WE DEDICATE THIS BRIDGE.
DATED DECEMBER 1, 1932
- Continuous through truss bridge over the Mississippi River on US 52/IL 64/IA 64 at Savanna
- Sabula, Carroll County, Illinois, and Jackson County, Iowa
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1932; rehabilitated 1985; Imploded March 9, 2018
- - Minneapolis Bridge Co. of Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Continuous through truss
Length of largest span: 519.9 ft.
Total length: 2,480.3 ft. (0.5 mi.)
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.2 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 27, 1999
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.10417, -90.16056 (decimal degrees)
42°06'15" N, 90°09'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/734781/4665244 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- IL 008-6000 (Illinois bridge number)
IA 29940 (Iowa bridge number)
NRHP 99001033 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 15054 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 36.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 2, 2022: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- February 15, 2018: Updated by Amanda: Bridge has been replaced
- January 4, 2018: New photo from Mike Nice
- October 12, 2017: New photos from John Imel
- October 1, 2015: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added category "Former toll"
- July 27, 2015: Updated by Nathan Holth: Add contract number and planned letting.
- January 20, 2015: New photos from Roger Deschner
- January 12, 2015: New photos from Jason Smith
- January 6, 2015: Photo imported by Roger Deschner
- March 2, 2014: New photos from James Baughn
- February 20, 2014: Updated by Nathan Holth: Field visit reveals this bridge is continuous (no hinges) as opposed to cantilever.
- November 29, 2013: New photo from Luke Harden
- February 18, 2013: Updated by Jason Smith: Added link about the bridge being given away
- February 9, 2013: Updated by Jason Smith: Updated the status of the bridge per latest article (see forum)
- May 2, 2012: Essay added by J.R. Manning
- December 10, 2011: Updated by J.P.: added warren to design
- February 25, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- May 8, 2010: New photos from Quinn Phelan
- May 4, 2010: Updated by Robert Stephenson: Added builder
- April 20, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge info.