Ottumwa Wabash Bridge
Wabash Bridge Looking Upstream on Downtown Side of River
Photo taken morning after vandals set fire to the wood deck
Photo taken by Bob Davis on November 21, 2008
BH Photo #135298
Officially Wabash Bridge #2224B
- Through truss pedestrian bridge over Des Moines River on former Wabash RR in Ottumwa
- Ottumwa, Wapello County, Iowa
- Open to pedestrians/bicycles
- Built 1888, North span of the bridge collapsed February 13, 1973; Converted into a pedestrian bridge 2007
- - Detroit Bridge & Iron Works of Detroit, Michigan
- - Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W)
- Ottumwa Terminal Railroad (OTT)
- Wabash Railroad (WAB)
- Main Spans:
-Three pin connected pratt through trusses
-One pony plate girder
-timber stringer/pile trestle
Length of largest span: 159.3 ft.
Total length: 773.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.5 ft.
- Also called
- Wabash - Des Moines River Bridge (Ottumwa)
Wabash Railroad Bridge #2224B
Wabash - Ottumwa Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.01239, -92.41077 (decimal degrees)
41°00'45" N, 92°24'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/549545/4540299 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Ottumwa North
- Inventory number
- BH 41291 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 26, 2014: New photo from James Holzmeier
- October 21, 2014: Updated by James Holzmeier: Updated bridge builder & changed date of completion from 1881 to 1888. Added bridge plans to Images.
- October 19, 2014: Updated by James Holzmeier: Updated bridge dimensions
- February 21, 2014: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- August 16, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
- August 13, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Added dimensions
- July 30, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Added probable build date
- April 17, 2013: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added category "Ottumwa Terminal Railroad"
- February 21, 2013: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added category "Norfolk & Western Railway"
- August 27, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "8-panel truss"
- April 6, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Rail-to-trail", "Wabash Railroad"
- August 2, 2010: New Street View added by Jason Smith
- March 12, 2009: Added by Bob Davis
- Bob Davis - bobdaviscfi [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Jason Smith - flensburg [dot] bridgehunter [dot] av [at] googlemail [dot] com
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net
- James Holzmeier - wabashry [at] gmail [dot] com