UP - Eddyville Rail Bridge
This bridge and it's southern neighbor (UP - Industrial Park Bridge) were once one massive structure, totaling a whopping 3,185ft. The area between the two bridges was formerly linked by a 12 span (246') timber pile trestle, a single span (22') I-beam, and then a huge 134 span (1841') timber pile trestle. A bad flood in 1964 wiped out a large portion of the middle of the bridge, severely damaging the timber spans. Rather than rebuilding them, the railroad chose to fill in the area, creating two separate bridges.
Build date provided by ICC Valuation Summary Report, courtesy Doug Harding collection.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Des Moines River & Muchakinock Creek on Union Pacific Railroad
- Eddyville, Monroe County, Iowa
- Open to traffic
- Built 1900, approach washed out and filled in 1964
- - Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Iowa Central Railway (IAC)
- Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway (MSTL)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- 7 Pratt through trusses with A-frame portal bracing and riveted connections. South approach consists of trestle spans.
7 Sp. Pin connected Pratt Through Truss (977')
12 Sp. Timber Pile Trestle (246')
1 Sp. I-Beam (22')
134 Sp. Timber Pile Trestle (1841')
1 Sp. Warren Through Truss (99')
Total length pre-1964: 3185ft.
Source: 1959 CNW track chart
Length of largest span: 142.0 ft.
Total length: 1,215.0 ft.
- Also called
- M&StL - Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville)
CNW - Eddyville Rail Bridge
UP - Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville)
CNW - Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville)
M&StL - Eddyville Rail Bridge
MSTL Bridge #525
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.15565, -92.64153 (decimal degrees)
41°09'20" N, 92°38'29" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/530077/4556098 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 51934 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 11, 2018: Updated by Luke: Corrected build date
- October 20, 2017: New photos from John Marvig
- October 3, 2016: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added info
- January 13, 2016: New photo from Tim Courtney
- August 16, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
- July 2, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
- June 30, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added builder
- May 7, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- March 2, 2013: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added category "Chicago & North Western Railway"
- July 24, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- June 24, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected railroad
- April 3, 2012: Added by Jason Smith