Photo taken by Historic American Engineering Record
BH Photo #115357
More commonly known as the Eveland Bridge, this large-scale structure had been contemplated by Mahaska County almost as long as people crossed the river at this point. The Eveland Ferry began operating here around 1854. After receiving citizens' petitions from time to time urging the county to replace the ferry with a permanent bridge, the county board of supervisors finally agreed in April 1875 to undertake the bridge's construction, provided that a sufficient local subscription of funds could be raised. In June 1876 the supervisors solicited competitive bids, based on a design by civil engineer C.W. Tracy; in September they awarded a contract to fabricate and build the multiple-span iron structure to McKay and Nelson, proprietors of the Fort Wayne [Indiana] Bridge Works. A Fort Wayne crew worked through on the massive stone piers through the winter and following spring, completing the bridge n the summer of 1877. The Eveland Bridge functioned as a regionally important crossing for some 90 years before its closure. It now stands abandoned, with the deck and stonework deteriorating but the superstructure intact.
The importance of the Eveland Bridge to regional commerce endured for decades, and for this the structure is historically significant. The Eveland Bridge is further distinguished as a well-preserved, large-scale example of the Whipple through truss. Basically a Pratt with diagonals that extend over two panels, the Whipple truss was seldom employed for wagon trusses in the state. Few were ever erected and fewer yet remain today. For its exceedingly rare use of wrought and cast iron components, its rare truss configuration, and its long-standing role in regional transportation, the Eveland Bridge is one of the most significant wagon crossings in Iowa [adapted from Fraser 1992].
- Abandoned three-span Whipple through truss bridge over the Des Moines River on Fulton Avenue
- Mahaska County, Iowa
- Abandoned with deck missing
- Future prospects
- Mahaska County is looking into possible trail usage for this span.
- Built 1876-77 by McKay & Nelson; one span replaced in 1903
- - C.W. Tracy
- Ft. Wayne Iron Works of Fort Wayne, Indiana
- John McKay
- McKay & Nelson of Ft. Wayne, Indiana
- Seevers Manufacturing Co. of Oskaloosa, Iowa (1903 Pratt)
Length of largest span: 164.0 ft.
Total length: 647.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.4 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 15, 1998
- Also called
- Wilson's Ferry Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.24209, -92.75661 (decimal degrees)
41°14'32" N, 92°45'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/520394/4565660 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 74 N., R. 17 W., Sec. 1
- Inventory numbers
- IA 235880 (Iowa bridge number)
NRHP 98000504 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 13981 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 1, 2018: Updated by Luke: Added builder for 1903 truss
- August 5, 2015: New photos from Chris Meiners
- December 21, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- April 3, 2012: New photos from Jason Smith
- April 27, 2011: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added new information
- April 28, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added Ft. Wayne Iron Works to builders. This was the predecessor to the Western Bridge Works.
- September 2, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon
- June 18, 2008: Updated by Historic American Engineering Record
- June 16, 2008: New photos from Historic American Engineering Record
- Historic American Engineering Record
- HAER IA-65 - Eveland Bridge
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Jason Smith - flensburg [dot] bridgehunter [dot] av [at] googlemail [dot] com
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth