Ely Street Bridge
Ely Street Bridge - Built 1891
Two identical Pratt through trusses extend across Big Creek in the village of Bertram in southern Linn County.
Photo by Iowa DOT
BH Photo #130569
From Iowa DOT Web Site
Description: These two identical Pratt through trusses extend across Big Creek in the village of Bertram in southern Linn County. A bridge plate indicates that it was built by J.E. Jayne and Son of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1891. Minutes of a meeting of the Linn County Board of Supervisors in January 1892 reported that the 224-foot Bertram Bridge, with iron tube piers and two 20-foot approaches, had cost an aggregate sum of $2,927. The Pratt through truss style was utilized on many bridges build in Linn County in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Since its construction, the Ely Street Bridge has carried sparse traffic and currently maintains a high degree of both structural and historically integrity.
- Through truss bridge over Big Creek on Ely Street in Bertram
- Bertram, Linn County, Iowa
- Washed away by floods
- Built 1891 by J.E. Jayne & Son; Washed away 2014; Removed from NRHP 12-8-14, replacement bridge underway.
- - Carnegie Steel Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Iron/Steel Manufacturer)
- J.E. Jayne & Son Bridge Co. of Iowa City, Iowa
- Pin-connected, 5-panel Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 88.9 ft.
Total length: 208.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.94914, -91.53050 (decimal degrees)
41°56'57" N, 91°31'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/621798/4645173 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2005)
- Inventory numbers
- IA 640 (Iowa bridge number)
NRHP 98000531 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 13837 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2016)
- Sufficiency rating: 15.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 21, 2020: New photos from Quinn Phelan
- December 23, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Updated NRHP status: Removed
- July 1, 2014: New photos from Steve Rasmussen
- July 1, 2014: Updated by Jason Smith: Bridge washed away by flooding, may be salvageable
- September 20, 2013: New Street View added by Dave King
- September 16, 2013: New photos from Jason Smith
- May 11, 2013: Updated by Dave King: Added link to Carnagie Steel info
- September 21, 2010: New photos from Jason Smith
- January 4, 2009: New photos from Quinn Phelan
- December 18, 2008: Essay added by Quinn Phelan
- Quinn Phelan - qphelan [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Jason Smith - flensburg [dot] bridgehunter [dot] av [at] googlemail [dot] com
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Steve Rasmussen