Artesian Road Bridge
A closer look shows this to be another example of WIBCo's Pratt variant that featured double-intersecting counters. This has also been referred to as a Hammond Truss. It might have built at the same time as the Bertram Road Bridge that survives several miles South over the same creek.
- Lost Hammond (Pratt variant) through truss bridge over Indian Creek on Artesian Road
- Marion, Linn County, Iowa
- Destroyed by collision with empty grain semi
- Built 1889; Destroyed 1998; Replaced 1999
- - Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pratt variant through truss (double-intersecting counters)
Length of largest span: 100.1 ft.
Total length: 101.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.07927, -91.56196 (decimal degrees)
42°04'45" N, 91°33'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/618948/4659578 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 84 N., R. 6 W., Sec. 20
- Inventory numbers
- IA 221395 (Iowa bridge number)
BH 40649 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 7, 2021: Updated by Luke: Updated cause of loss
- October 15, 2018: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added truss type
- August 19, 2017: Updated by Luke: Added builder + image
- March 1, 2009: Added by James Baughn