Corbett's Mill Bridge
The Maquoketa River flows to the southwest in a series of sharp bends through Scotch Grove Township below the town of Monticello in Jones County. A long-term grist and sawmill site was established on that water power by James S. Applegate in 1858. John Corbett joined the firm, obtained ownership by 1868 and added to the sawmill, enlarged the waterwheel and built a blacksmith shop as well. In 1870 he petitioned the Jones County Board of Supervisors to place an iron bridge on the road which crossed the river above his millpond.
The Supervisors responded favorably and appropriated $3,000 for a bridge at Corbett's Mill, two thirds of the cost to be borne by the county, and the remainder by local subscription. On 19 January 1871, a committee was appointed to inspect the proposed site and to select a contractor. On 20 April a Mr. Jones, represented Miller, Jamieson & Company of Cleveland, Ohio (later the Buckeye Bridge Company), presented the Supervisors with plans and cost information. Two bridges were ordered form the company, both measured 128 feet in length. The bridges were delivered by rail. The bridge at Monticello was assembled by crews sent by the company, and by 16 November it was announced that Corbett's Mill Bridge would be completed by the following week. The bridge lacks a name plate, and patent or roller markings of any kind.
The bridge continued to be identified with the nearby mill site. The mill passed to Samuel Eby in 1875 and remained in that family's hands until 1913. The original bridge was located on a loop road which apparently was first established so as to circle behind the millpond above the dam. A newer road simply cut off this loop, thereby isolating the bridge. The county raod bypassed the bridge in 1958 and the bridge passed into private ownership. It currently adjoins a privately owned picnic area which is on the east river bank [adapted from Jacobsen 1985]
- Bowstring through truss bridge over Maquoketa River on Abandoned Road in Scotch Grove
- Scotch Grove, Jones County, Iowa
- Destroyed by flooding Saturday July 24, 2010
- Built 1871; Bypassed by a new road in 1958 and passed into private ownership.
- - Buckeye Bridge Works of Cleveland, Ohio
- Miller, Jamieson & Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- "The Corbett's Mill bridge is an example of what was once a common bridge form: the bowstring arch-truss. In the 1860s and 1870s bowstring arch-trusses were used extensively because of their great structural efficiency and relatively low construction costs. During this period many thousands of bowstring arch-trusses were built in the nation. Because the development of Iowa's transportation system coincided with this period, the number of bowstrings built in the state numbered in the many hundreds. Most of these were built by the large Ohio bridge companies, such as the King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Company, the Massillon Bridge Company, and the Wrought Iron Bridge Company. The Corbett's Mill bridge is an excellent example of a bowstring arch-truss that was built by a smaller company: the Buckeye Bridge Company, also of Ohio.
"This document was prepared as part of the Iowa Historic Bridges Recording Project performed durng the Summer of 1995 by the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER). The project was sponsored by the Iowa Department of Transportation (IDOT). Preliminary research on this bridge was performed by Clayton B. Fraser of Fraserdesign, Loveland, CO."
Historian: Geoffrey H. Goldberg, engineer, August 1995
Span length: 128.0 ft.
Total length: 128.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1985
- Also called
- Eby's Mill Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.20010, -91.05935 (decimal degrees)
42°12'00" N, 91°03'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/660218/4673816 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Scotch Grove
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 85000722 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 37395 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 14, 2020: Updated by Tony Dillon: Corrected error as this was a through truss and not a pony.
- July 26, 2011: Updated by Luke Harden: Added description
- July 27, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bowstring has been destroyed by floods.
- September 10, 2008: Added by J.R. Manning