Benton Street Bridge (1903)
Old Benton Street Bridge
View of what I believe is a part of the original steel beam from the truss bridge over the Iowa River. New bridge can be partially seen in background. Taken June 18, 2013.
Photo taken by Dave King
BH Photo #256785
Originally known as Ryerson Bridge and was built to serve Ryerson's Mill. Mill burnt down and the name went with it. People then called it Benton Street Bridge.
- Lost 2-span Parker Through truss bridge over Iowa River on Benton Street
- Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1903; replaced 1949
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- Parker through truss
- Also called
- Ryerson Mill Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.65102, -91.53842 (decimal degrees)
41°39'04" N, 91°32'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/621705/4612062 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Iowa City West
- Inventory number
- BH 56662 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 20, 2022: Updated by Paul Plassman: Added categories "Wooden deck", "Finials", "Lattice Railing"
- June 19, 2016: Updated by Luke: Added builder
- June 20, 2013: Updated by Robert Elder: This is a Parker through truss. Added number of main spans.
- June 19, 2013: New photos from Luke Harden
- June 18, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added photograph of the bridge
- June 18, 2013: Added by Dave King