2 votes

CrandIC - Iowa River Bridge (N)


Photo taken by Jason Leverton

View this photo on Flickr

BH Photo #234333


Street View 


Deck plate girder bridge over Iowa River on Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Railway
Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa
Open to traffic
Built 1903; Timber stringer approach filled in 1915;Substrcuture rebuilt 1958
- American Bridge Co. of New York
- Amos Melberg Co. of Cedar Rapids, Iowa (1958 Substructure Rebuild)
- J.E. Jayne & Son Bridge Co. of Iowa City, Iowa (Original 1904 Substructure)
- Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Railway (CRandIC; CIC)
- Interurban
Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 70.0 ft.
Total length: 310.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.66228, -91.54021   (decimal degrees)
41°39'44" N, 91°32'25" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/621535/4613310 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Iowa City West
Inventory number
BH 49784 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • June 7, 2020: Updated by Luke: Added original substructure contractor
  • April 9, 2020: New photos from Melissa Brand-Welch
  • April 8, 2020: Updated by Luke: Noted 1958 rebuild of substructure; Added contractor for said job.
  • May 17, 2018: New photo from Luke
  • September 26, 2017: New photos from John Marvig
  • August 15, 2017: New photo from Luke
  • December 30, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Corrected Build Date
  • August 15, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
  • August 13, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Corrected Build Date
  • August 11, 2013: New Street View added by Dave King
  • August 11, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added build date & builder.
  • March 18, 2013: Photo imported by Luke Harden
  • August 16, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
  • June 29, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
  • October 8, 2011: Added by Luke Harden



CRandIC - Iowa River Bridge (N)
Posted April 8, 2020, by Luke
Iowa River IAIS Bridge #1
Posted November 9, 2011, by Douglas Jones (jones [at] cs [dot] uiowa [dot] edu)

This bridge is not and has never been an IAIS bridge, it was built and is owned by the CRANDIC railroad. This bridge is at the south end of their old mainline from Iowa City to Cedar Rapids -- a line that is now only lightly used.