BNSF - Burlington Bridge (1893)
Overall View Of Bridge, Protective Pier And Mississippi River. View To Northeast
Photo by Clayton B. Fraser, August 1985, for HAER
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #122597
- Through truss swing bridge over Mississippi River on BNSF Railway in Burlington
- Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa, and Henderson County, Illinois
- Replaced by a new bridge 2011-2012
- Built 1890-1893; Replaced 2011-2012.
- - George S. Morison of New Bedford, Massachusetts
- New Jersey Steel & Iron Co. of Trenton, New Jersey
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- BNSF Railway (BNSF)
- Burlington Northern Railroad (BN)
- Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CBQ)
- 6-250' Whipple Through Truss
1-360' Through Truss Swing Span
2-70' Deck Girder
Length of largest span: 360.0 ft.
Total length: 2,000.0 ft.
- Also called
- CBQ - Burlington Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.79854, -91.09205 (decimal degrees)
40°47'55" N, 91°05'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/660953/4518145 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 37319 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 3, 2021: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- November 14, 2021: Updated by John Marvig: added builder and dimensions
- April 13, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- June 11, 2017: New photo from Dana and Kay Klein
- May 1, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Updated Design of main span and lost date
- October 15, 2012: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Replacement bridge completed, scheduled for dedication 18 Oct 2012; bridge updated to "No Longer Exists"
- April 4, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Amtrak", "Navigable waterway", "HAER documented"
- October 2, 2011: New photos from Quinn Phelan
- November 10, 2010: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge in process of replacement; updated to reflect construction
- June 13, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge type and GPS.
- August 26, 2008: Added by J.R. Manning