"Fabricated and erected in 1911, the Waverly Junction Bridge (called locally Dix's Bridge) ranks among Iowa's earliest rigid-connected highway trusses. The structure's concrete-filled steel cylinder piers, curved portal knee braces, and threaded-rod lateral bracing are typical features of pinned trusses generally built prior to 1910. The composition of the bridge's web members, their connecting gusset plates and the method of field-bolting, on the other hand, are representative of early rigid-connected trusses. These features distinguish the Waverly Junction Bridge as a transitional between the two technologies: a significant and uncommon structure in Iowa's bridge building history.
"The Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) documentation for the Waverly Junction Bridge was conducted by Fraserdesign of Loveland, Colorado, under contract with Bremer County, Iowa. The county has proposed replacement of the structure and this recordation is intended to mitigate in part the impact on the bridge by this action."
Carl W. McWilliams