Crane Creek Bridge
© Iowa Department of Transportation
BH Photo #270818
The Crane Creek bridge is a Camelback pony truss, situated on the boundary between Black Hawk and Bremer Counties just east of the intersection of Marquis and Elk Run Roads. On October 8, 1910, the Black Hawk County Board of Supervisors approved construction of a steel bridge with a concrete floor and abutments over Crane Creek near the Crane Creek Creamery. The contract to build the bridge was awarded to John Ritzinger, manager of the Waterloo Construction Company. The construction cost, $2,914.00, was to be shared equally by Black Hawk and Bremer Counties. On January 31, 1911, the board authorized partial payment of $1,200.00 to the Waterloo Construction Company. Waterloo, an important regional bridge builder, provided bridges and bridge materials to the county on a number of occasions in the early 20th century. Exhibiting connections throughout, the Camelback pony truss spans 90 feet. Since its erection, the Crane Creek Bridge has served Black County residents uninterrupted, with no major structural modifications of note. It is a well-preserved example of a relatively uncommon subtype of the venerable Pratt truss [adapted from Roise and Fraser 1992}.
- Lost pony truss bridge over Crane Creek on East Marquis Road
- Black Hawk County, Iowa, and Bremer County, Iowa
- No longer exists
- Built 1911 Replaced 2003
- - Waterloo Construction Co. of Waterloo, Iowa
- Pony truss
Length of largest span: 89.9 ft.
Total length: 91.9 ft.
Deck width: 15.4 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.64225, -92.25609 (decimal degrees)
42°38'32" N, 92°15'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/560985/4721356 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 90 N., R. 12 W., Sec. 3
- Inventory numbers
- IA 76200 (Iowa bridge number)
NRHP 98000769 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 12878 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 22, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added builder, build date, & pic
- April 11, 2010: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated GPS and Road Name
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net