South elevation. Photo by Sammy Fowler taken June 1982.
Photo from Historic American Engineering Archive
BH Photo #156889
The bridge itself was replaced in 1985, most likely by the TVA. The following year, TVA paved all of John Smith Road as a lengthy detour for SR 325 to raise the height of Nottely Dam. The detour state highway operated for approximately two years.
- Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Nottely River on John Smith Road
- Union County, Georgia
- Replaced by new bridge
- Bridge was replaced in 1985. Road was paved by TVA during this time.
- - Champion Bridge Co. of Wilmington, Ohio
- Pin-connected Pratt through truss.
Span length: 116.0 ft.
Total length: 116.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.3 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.98052, -84.08956 (decimal degrees)
34°58'50" N, 84°05'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/765685/3874752 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Nottely Dam
- Inventory number
- BH 44305 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 4, 2010: Added by James Legg
- JT Legg - talmo346 [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER GA-55 - Smith Bridge, Spanning Nottely River on Dooley Road (County Road 83), Blairsville vicinity, Union, GA