The bridge is located outside of the Augusta Canal & Industrial Historic District and the National Historic Landmark Historic District. It was determined to be a contributing resource to the historic district by SHPO 3/13/2012.
The bridge carries a two-lane street over a channelized stream in an area of modern commercial and industrial redevelopment. The setting does not have historic district potential. This section of the Hawks Gulley (east of 12th St.) is a channelized drainage feature feeding the canal and controlled by gates at the 3-cell brick arch culvert at 12th St. This is the third level of the canal. It was not included within the boundaries of the Augusta Canal & Industrial HD (NR 1971, NHL 1977).
The skewed, one span, 26'-long and nearly 62'-wide, brick arch bridge is finished with 6-course common bond brick spandrel walls and parapets with granite caps. The arch ring is stuccoed and scored to appear like stone voussoirs.
Summary of Significance:
The 1917 brick arch bridge is a short, late example of a type/design that has been in used in the state since at least the Central of GA RR in the 1850s. It is not individually distinguished by its technology, and it is not located in the Augusta Canal & Industrial HD (NR 1971, NHL 1977) and thus does not share the same significant context/setting as the other brick arches in Augusta (245-0100-0, 245-0075-0). Sanborn maps from the 1880s to 1890s show that the canal and its feeders were crossed throughout much of the city by wood bridges, which were progressively replaced in the early to mid 20th century with a variety of bridge types, from brick arches to reinforced concrete and steel. SHPO opined that the bridge does contribute to the historic district in which it is not located in their March 13, 2012 letter to GDOT (HP-110207-004). SHPO states that they can change boundaries for Section 106 purposes and GDOT concurs with the finding.
GADOT. Bridge Inspection File & Plans.
Historic American Engineering Record. Augusta Canal. HAER GA-5. 1977.
Georgia Historic Preservation Office. NR Survey Files.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, 1884-1922.