Augustine Cutoff Bridge (1885)
Where B & O R. R. crosses historic Brandywine River, at Wilmington, Del.
Boston Public Library
License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)
View this photo on Flickr
BH Photo #316477
Wrought iron, pin-connected, Pratt-type truss superstructure mounted on granite masonry piers; originally served as bridge for the B&O Railroad.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Deck truss bridge over Brandywine Creek on Augustine Cutoff in Wilmington
- Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1885 for B&O Railroad, replaced with stone arch bridge 1910; Converted to road bridge 1920; Pratt truss replaced with Warren truss 1980;
- - Andrews & Locke of Baltimore, Maryland (Fabrication)
- Johns Riddle Sons & Co. (Substructure)
- - Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (BO)
- Fink deck truss
Length of largest span: 164.1 ft.
Total length: 826.2 ft.
Deck width: 40.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.76111, -75.55667 (decimal degrees)
39°45'40" N, 75°33'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/452317/4401391 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Wilmington North
- Inventory number
- BH 12285 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 4, 2018: Updated by Luke: Added builders & HAER imagery
- May 3, 2018: Updated by Luke: Split entry
- June 28, 2015: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Updated history
- February 18, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
- March 19, 2011: New Street View added by J.P.
- August 16, 2010: Updated by D. Thomsen: Brandywine Creek
- D. Thomsen - dcthomsen [at] comcast [dot] net
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Todd Wilson
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- HAER DE-20 - Augustine Bridge, Brandywine River,Augustine Cutoff, Wilmington, New Castle County, DE