Tidal Basin Bridge
The Tidal Reservoir Inlet Bridge is a successful blending of engineering designs and necessities while achieving the height of aesthetics. The tidal gates of the inlet control and regulate the water received from the river according to the tidal action and the pressure exerted or not exerted on the tidal gates. As a focal point of Potomac Park, the Tidal Reservoir Inlet Bridge contributed to the monumental design of the Capital City. Its configuration adheres to the park design concept that a bridge should blend into a park setting effectively so as not to detract from the park. The bridge was also designed to include a roadway at a time automobile traffic was only beginning to appear. The design of the bridge shows the influence of the Neo-Classical style with ornate details such as gargoyles and classical balustrades.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Steel stringer bridge over Tidal Basin on Ohio Drive
- Washington, District of Columbia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1908; rehabilitated 1984
- - Alexander & Repass of Des Moines, Iowa
- Nathan C. Wyeth
- Steel stringer
Length of largest span: 27.9 ft.
Total length: 138.1 ft.
Deck width: 30.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.88003, -77.04000 (decimal degrees)
38°52'48" N, 77°02'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/323046/4305441 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Washington West
- Average daily traffic (as of 2007)
- Inventory number
- BH 65696 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 84.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 3, 2020: Updated by Luke: Added builder "Alexander & Repass"
- December 19, 2016: New photo from Dave King
- August 4, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- January 26, 2015: Added by Dave King
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER DC-9-A - Tidal Reservoir, Inlet Bridge, Ohio Drive, spanning Inlet of Tidal Basin, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
- Dana and Kay Klein
- Iowa City Press-Citizen from Iowa City, Iowa on August 2, 1947 · 5 - Saturday, August 2, 1947 home stamping grounds, Robert L. (Bob) Larson of Iowa City recently appointed state attorney general isn't going to get caught passing out an "attorney general's opinion" at the drop of a hat. Addressing t