Rating:
1 vote

Holiday House Bridge

Photos 

1907 Postcard

Bridge and Holiday House on hill

Photo submitted by Chester Gehman

BH Photo #429419

Map 

Description 

Built as an access to Holiday House, a vacation retreat for single working class women. A flag stop on the Shepaug Valley Railroad named "Valley Station" was where guests would de-train, cross the bridge and walk up the hill to the hotel. The bridge was reportedly built by Washington Roebling, who was a friend of Edward and Mary van Ingen, creators of Holiday House. It was the smallest suspension bridge ever built by him. Foundation remains of the hotel and bridge abutments are located in the Steep Rock Association Land Trust.

Facts 

Overview
Lost suspension bridge over Shepaug River in Washington
Location
Washington, Litchfield County, Connecticut
Status
Removed but not replaced
History
Built ca. 1893 as a footbridge to the Holiday House Hotel
Builder
- Washington A. Roebling
Design
Wire/cable suspension
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.61869, -73.32471   (decimal degrees)
41°37'07" N, 73°19'29" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/639571/4608796 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 81859 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • June 17, 2018: Added by Chester Gehman

Sources 

  • Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com