NH - Whiting Viaduct
Whiting Viaduct Construction
BH Photo #309244
Large earthen embankment on the former CNE with two stone tunnels for the river and an abandoned carriage road. Abandoned in the late 1930s.
When the Connecticut Western RR reached East Canaan a large fill was necessary to span the Whiting River valley. It required a passage for the stream and a roadway. These were built side by side with stone ashlar arches for the passageways. The earthen embankment is at least fifty feet tall. The roadway was abandoned after a grade crossing was built at the west end of this long curving fill.
- November 3, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- October 23, 2017: New photos from Chester Gehman
- November 28, 2014: Added by Ian Martin
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Ian Martin
- NERail Photo Archive - Image
- Geoff Hubbs