Enfield-Suffield Covered Bridge
Replaced the original bridge at this site, built c. 1808, that was the first bridge crossing the Connecticut River in Connecticut. This first bridge collapsed in 1821. The new bridge, a Town Lattice of six spans, was built in 1832 financed by lottery. In April, 1896, it was declared unsafe and closed. A freshet in February, 1900 carried away three spans. Around 1903 the Southern New England Telephone company dynamited the remaining three spans and used the piers to run a telephone line across the river.
- Lost Through truss bridge over Connecticut River and Enfield Canal.
- Enfield, Hartford County, Connecticut
- Destroyed by flooding; not replaced
- Built 1832; closed 1896; destroyed by flood 1900
- Town lattice through truss
Total length: 1,000.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.97501, -72.60607 (decimal degrees)
41°58'30" N, 72°36'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/698343/4649774 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Broad Brook
- Inventory number
- BH 80160 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 6, 2019: Updated by Chester Gehman: Corrected historical errors; added description.
- January 19, 2018: Added by Dave King
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com