Photo submitted by Chester Gehman
BH Photo #403959
The Suffield-Thompsonville Bridge was built by The Enfield Bridge Company by existing charter (1889), and collected tolls on the bridge until 1908, when the towns of Suffield and Enfield purchased the bridge. When the Enfield-Suffield Veterans Bridge opened downstream in 1966, the old bridge closed shortly after,and it was demolished in 1971 leaving the four stone piers in the river.
- Lost Parker through truss bridge over Connecticut River on Main Street/Burbank Street
- Suffield, Hartford County, Connecticut
- Demolished; Four stone piers still standing
- Built 1892 by Berlin Iron Bridge Co.; Bypassed 1966; Closed & Demolished 1971
- - Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut (Fabricators)
- Edward S. Shaw of Boston, Massachusetts (Consulting Engineer)
- Enfield Bridge Co.
- O.W. Weand (Substructure)
- 5 span wrought iron pin connected Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 200.0 ft.
Total length: 1,060.0 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.99918, -72.60749 (decimal degrees)
41°59'57" N, 72°36'27" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/698150/4652454 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Broad Brook
- Inventory number
- BH 73125 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 23, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- March 21, 2020: New photos from Chester Gehman
- January 21, 2018: Photo imported by Dave King
- September 29, 2017: New photos from Chester Gehman
- September 29, 2017: Added by Michael Quiet
- Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs