Farmington Canal Heritage Trail - Rosewood Road Arch Bridge
Photo taken by Chester Gehman in May 2019
BH Photo #446994
12' stone arch bridge carrying the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail (former NH Canal Line) over a small dirt road north of Avon center. CTDOT listings identify this road as "Rosewood Road," but newer maps don't seem to carry that designation east of CT 10 (there is a Rosewood Road on the west side of CT 10 in this area). The Connecticut Historic Bridge inventory form indicates that the arch and corresponding embankment was likely constructed in 1878 to replace a wooden trestle.
Addendum: Bridge is located on an abandoned road which may have or not have been an extension of Rosewood Road (not clear from early maps.) Access is limited to the east side, which borders on the Nod Brook Wildlife Management Area.
- December 6, 2020: Updated by Ian Martin: Added likely build year
- May 3, 2019: New photos from Chester Gehman
- June 19, 2015: Added by Ian Martin
- Ian Martin
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Connecticut Digital Archive - Historic Bridge Inventory form - source for build year