Housatonic River Bridge
The bridge is an essential link between the Merritt Parkway and the Wilbur Cross Parkway. It is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places as the northern terminus of the Merritt Parkway, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge has two unique engineering features: it was the longest span of open steel grid deck bridge in the U.S., and the use of T-shaped, one-leg bents was considered an innovative solution to ensure navigational clearances beneath the bridge.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Lost Deck plate girder bridge over Housatonic River & PCRR on Route 15
- Fairfield County, Connecticut, and New Haven County, Connecticut
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1940; rehabilitated 1988; replaced 2004
- - A.I. Savin Construction Co. of Hartford, Connecticut (Substructure)
- American Bridge Co. of New York (Superstructure)
- B. D. Freedman (Designer, State Highway Department)
- Senior & Palmer, Inc. of New York, New York (Caisson At Pier 8)
- William G. Grove (Designer, Associate Highway Engineer for State Highway Department)
- Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 224.1 ft.
Total length: 1,829.2 ft.
Deck width: 51.8 ft.
- Also called
- Bridge No. 00761
Sikorsky Memorial Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.24647, -73.09006 (decimal degrees)
41°14'47" N, 73°05'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/660033/4567877 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- CT 761 (Connecticut bridge number)
BH 65108 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2018)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 85 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 21, 2019: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added builders and additional name.
- December 28, 2014: Added by Dave King
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER CT-177 - Bridge No. 00761, Spanning Housatonic River at State Route No. 15, Milford, New Haven County, CT
- Nathan Holth