William S. Moore
of South Bend, Indiana
During his long career in the South Bend area, he designed many such structures, as well as water and sewer systems, the reservoir in Leeper Park, as well as area real estate developments including Ridgedale in Twickenham Hills, Wedgewood, Miami Trails, Edison Park and East Gate. A native of Irvington (now part of Indianapolis), he received undergraduate and master's degrees in engineering from Purdue University.
In 1898 he moved to the South Bend area and served in various city engineering capacities and later as City Engineer for both South Bend and Mishawaka. For two years, from 1915-1917, he served as City Engineer for Grand Rapids, Michigan, then was appointed engineer to Indiana's first State Highway Commission. By 1922 he had returned to the South Bend area where he established his own engineering firm, maintaining his practice until 1959, when he retired. When he died, on October 21, 1969, many tributes to his contributions to his profession and to his community were expressed. In 1976, one of South Bend's fourteen bridges, the Logan Bridge, was renamed in his honor. The bridge, which had been dedicated in 1914, was an early product of his engineering skill.
- Historic American Engineering Record
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/pnp/habshaer/in/in0300/in0330/d... (Page 7)
Ash Road Bridge
(St. Joseph County, Indiana)Built 1929Concrete arch bridge over St. Joseph River on Ash RoadOpen to traffic
Bridge Street Bridge
(Elkhart County, Indiana)Designer, 1939Three-span concrete deck girder bridge over St. Joseph River on Bridge Street in ElkhartOpen to traffic
Elkhart Avenue Bridge
(Elkhart County, Indiana)Designer, 1928Concrete arch bridge over Elkhart River on Elkhart Avenue in ElkhartOpen to traffic