Rating:
No votes cast

Tuolumne River Ferry (1850)

Description 

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=42617 One of the most important stopping places on the Stockton-Mariposa Road, the first Tuolumne River Ferry was established 3/8 mile downstream from here [present bridge] by Alden Jackson and Dr. Benjamin Horr in 1850. Dr. Horr, who came to California in 1849 for the gold rush, was a State Assemblyman who, in 1854, introduced the legislative bill creating Stanislaus County. In 1851 Dr. Horr sold the ferry to Gallant Dickinson who again sold it, now including an adjacent hotel, to Cornelius Osborn in 1857. The ferry and the hotel were controlled by Osborn until 1862 when they were sold to John Roberts. In 1854 the ferry was either leased or sold to John Morley, moved upstream 3/8 of a mile to this location [present bridge] in 1865, and was once again operated by Roberts in 1872. It remained in Robertsí name until 1887 when he built a wooden truss toll bridge.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Bridge over Tuolumne River on Stockton-Mariposa Road
Location
Stanislaus County, California
Status
No longer exists
History
Built 1850
Approximate latitude, longitude
+37.63553, -120.62106   (decimal degrees)
37°38'08" N, 120°37'16" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
10/709909/4168039 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 100658 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

19th Century (9,230)
Built 1850 (111)
Built during 1850s (596)
Cable Ferry (16)
California (2,757)
Lost (30,583)
Lost 1887 (14)
Lost during 1880s (152)
Stanislaus County, California (32)
Toll (181)

Update Log 

  • September 21, 2022: Added by Doug K

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Doug K - dougbcnu [at] gmail [dot] com