UP - Lower Pollard Flat Bridge
U.P.R.R. - Lower Pollard Flat Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff in January 2012
BH Photo #223887
The Southern Pacific Railroad Shasta Route, built as the California and Oregon Railroad and the Central Pacific Railroad between Roseville, California and Portland, Oregon was the first thrust north of the Central Pacific Railroad to tap the Oregon market. Begun in 1863 as the California and Oregon Railroad, the line was finally completed in 1887. Completion of the Natron Cutoff in 1927 saw the north end of the Shasta Route pulled back to Black Butte, California. A final change occurred 1938-1942 when construction of Shasta Dam required replacement of twenty-six miles of the original alignment with thirty-two miles of new railroad. For the purpose of the current project, the Shasta Route was found likely to be eligible for the National Register of Historic Places at the state level of significance under Criterion A for its significance in engineering, transportation history, and the economic development of California and Oregon, and in the development of the West, and under criterion B for its association with E.H. Harriman. The Shasta Route's period of significance is 1863 to 1945, from the beginning of construction in 1863, through the years of its role in the economic development of California and Oregon, to the conclusion of the railroad's achievements in World War II. As contributors to the overall historic property, the route's Common Standard bridges over the Sacramento River were also found to meet criterion C, representing a type, period, and method of construction. Built in 1901, Bridge Number 301.85 is a contributive element of this property.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Pratt through truss bridge over Sacramento River on Union Pacific Railroad
- Shasta County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1901
- - B.M. Krohn (Engineer - Phoenix Bridge Co)
- Phoenix Bridge Co. of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania (Truss Fabricator)
- - Southern Pacific Railroad (SP)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- Pin-connected Pratt through truss
Span length: 208.8 ft.
Total length: 208.8 ft.
Deck width: 12.0 ft.
- Also called
- Shasta Route Bridge No. 301.85
Bridge No. 301.85
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.99154, -122.41492 (decimal degrees)
40°59'30" N, 122°24'54" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/549212/4537982 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 51095 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 27, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- January 26, 2012: Added by Michael Goff
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER CA-222 - Southern Pacific Railroad Shasta Route, Bridge No. 301.85, Milepost 301.85, Pollard Flat, Shasta County, CA