Red Rock Bridge
Undated historical postcard
Submitted by Craig Philpott
BH Photo #184141
Originally built for ATSF railroad use. In 1947, ATSF built a new bridge for trains, this bridge was converted for highway use, and US Route 66 was rerouted from the Old Trails Arch Bridge to this bridge. In 1966, both US 66 and this bridge were replaced by Interstate 40. The bridge was not dismantled until 1978.
- Lost Through truss bridge over Colorado River on US 66
- Topock, San Bernardino County, California, and Mohave County, Arizona
- Replaced by new I-40 bridge
- Built in 1890 as RR bridge, converted to car bridge 1947, Replaced 1966, Demolished 1978.
- - Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway (ATSF)
- Cantilevered through truss.
- Also called
- Needles Bridge
ATSF - Topock Bridge (Old)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.71702, -114.48657 (decimal degrees)
34°43'01" N, 114°29'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/730167/3844538 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 46742 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 30, 2020: New photo from Tony Dillon
- May 25, 2019: New photos from Joe Sonderman
- March 14, 2015: New photo from Luke
- October 1, 2014: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- February 17, 2014: Updated by Roger Deschner: Update location, and road name which was US 66.
- November 16, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Railroad", "Rail-to-road", "Colorado River"
- June 5, 2011: New photo from Craig Philpott
- January 16, 2011: New photos from Craig Philpott
- October 31, 2010: Added by Craig Philpott
- Hwy 66 Bridges - Colorado River Bridges at Needles, CA.
- Craig Philpott - craigphilpott63 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Roger Deschner - rogerdeschner [at] gmail [dot] com
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Joe Sonderman
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com