Folsom Powerhouse Canal Bridge
Powerhouse Canal Bridge - Folsom - former Greenback Lane
Looking across the Powerhouse Canal Bridge - Folsom - former Greenback Lane
Photo taken by Mike Lynch in June 2013
BH Photo #257127
This bridge was over the canal providing water to the Folsom Powerhouse. The Folsom Powerhouse is a State Historic Park and historical site of California, preserving an early hydroelectric power station. It is located in the city of Folsom, overlooking Lake Natoma. Built in the late 19th century by the Natoma Water and Mining Company and prison labor from Folsom State Prison, the powerhouse first delivered electricity to Sacramento in 1895. The power station remained in operation until 1952. Pacific Gas and Electric donated the plant to the State of California, which designated the site as California Historical Landmark Number #633. The 35-acre (14 ha) historic park was established in 1956. The powerhouse was designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 1981. Its four original water turbines are still in place.
A diversion canal took water from the American River to four 8-foot-tall (2.4 m), 750-kilowatt generators that were manufactured by the General Electric Company via four 8-foot-diameter (2.4 m) penstocks.
This bridge goes over what was the canal supplying the powerhouse.
- Bridge over PGE Powerhouse Canal on American River Bike Trail/former Greenback Lane
- Folsom, Sacramento County, California
- Good condition for ped and bike use
- Build in 1916 as part of four bridge built in the area by Sacramento County during a three year period. The others are the Orangevale Bridge, Figeuroa Bridge and the Rainbow Bridge
- - Drury D. Butler (Sacramento County Surveyor)
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
- Also called
- Powerhouse Canal Bridge
Greenback Lane Bridge
Canal Bridge on Greenback Lane
Old Canal Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.67933, -121.17632 (decimal degrees)
38°40'46" N, 121°10'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/658631/4282770 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 56718 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 4, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- June 25, 2013: New photos from Mike Lynch
- June 23, 2013: Added by Mike Lynch
- Mike Lynch - lynch3212 [at] wavecable [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com