Rating:
1 vote

Figueroa Street Tunnels

Photos 

Figueroa Street Tunnels

Postcard view provided by Joe Sonderman

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC)

Enlarge

BH Photo #448572

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The first three tunnels opened in November 1931. The fourth and longest opened on August 4, 1936. The tunnels originally carried two way traffic, which created a bottleneck when the Arroyo Seco Parkway opened. In 1941, work began on four new lanes at a higher elevation immediately to the west of the tunnels. The new lanes opened on December 30, 1943. The tunnels and the Figueroa Street Viaduct then became one-way northbound only.

Facts 

Overview
Tunnel under Elysian Park on CA 110/ Arryo Seco Pkwy
Location
Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1931. Open with 2 other sister tunnels
Design
Tunnel 1
Dimensions
Total length: 404.9 ft.
Deck width: 46.5 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+34.07830, -118.22823   (decimal degrees)
34°04'42" N, 118°13'42" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
11/386676/3771518 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Los Angeles
Inventory numbers
53 0202R
BH 62874 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2019: Updated by Joe Sonderman: added US 66 corrected spelling of Figueroa
  • September 4, 2014: Added by Royce and Bobette Haley

Sources 

  • Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • Joe Sonderman