Stony Creek Bridge
Stony Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on April 16, 2010
BH Photo #162915
The three bridges across Stony Creek at this same exact site have been important links between the valley and the villages, mountain resorts, and farms located in the foothills.
The contract for the concrete Winslow Bridge was awarded to F.H. Nielson of Orland on Tuesday, August 12, 1919 by the Glenn County Supervisors. Mr. Nielson, whose low bid was $23,420.00, was reported to be a well equipped contractor who had “been running several large crews of men on big irrigation and bridge contracts, and is in touch with responsible men to do the work, and also has the machinery and equipment for pushing the business without delay.” The heavy traffic of “auto trucks” had rendered the old truss bridge “inadequate for further use.” Courtesy of: Wagon Wheels, Colusi County Historical Society
- Concrete arch bridge over Stony Creek
- Glenn County, California
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1919
- - F. H. Nielson (Builder)
- The Stony Creek Bridge in an unusual concrete arch form, an open spandrel arch with continuous arch rings. It is one of few California examples of this form, generally referred to as the "spanderel cross wall" bridge.
(Historic Highway Bridges of California, Cal-Trans, 1990)
Length of largest span: 111.9 ft.
Total length: 125.0 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.61181, -122.52879 (decimal degrees)
39°36'43" N, 122°31'44" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/540449/4384779 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Elk Creek
- Inventory numbers
- CA 11C-88 (California bridge number)
BH 10886 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 13, 2011: Updated by Craig Philpott: Added historical note, added photo
- January 9, 2011: New photos from Craig Philpott
- November 13, 2010: New photo from Craig Philpott
- April 19, 2010: New photos from Michael Goff
- March 9, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: Added street view
- Craig Philpott - craigphilpott63 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com