Sunol Aqueduct (Flume Bridge)
Elevation of the north side of the stucture.
Photo courtesy of TY Lin International
BH Photo #165951
Designed as part of the water system to provide water to the San Francisco peninsula in the early 1900's. The system was owned by the Spring Valley Water Company until control was purchased by the San Francisco Water Department. Construction of the Hetch Hetchy Aqueduct made this system obsolete and led to its eventual abandonment. The site is currently closed to the public.
- Abandoned open-spandrel arch bridge
- Alameda County, California
- Future prospects
- Possible restoration of the structure and inclusion into the East Bay Parks district trail system.
- Built between 1920-1925 by the Spring Valley Water Company
- Open spandrel reinforced concrete arch carrying an 8' x 6' water channel.
Total length: 118.0 ft.
Deck width: 8.0 ft.
- Also called
- Niles Canyon Aqueduct
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.58694, -121.95883 (decimal degrees)
37°35'13" N, 121°57'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/591923/4160496 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 45324 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 21, 2010: Updated by Eric Root: added to Aqueduct category
- May 20, 2010: Added by Kevin Pope