NCRy - Farwell Bridge (1896)
Niles Canyon Railway train on Farwell Bridge
The pin connected truss dates from 1896 and the stone pier from 1866.
Photo taken by Alan Frank in 2000
BH Photo #143386
Pratt pin connected through truss with Warren pony truss approach and deck plate truss approach. Both approach trusses on East end of span.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Alameda Creek and CA-84 on Niles Canyon Railway
- Alameda County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1896, replacing the original single-span covered wooden Howe Truss.
- - American Bridge Co. of New York (Toledo, Ohio plant. Approach trestles, 1905)
- Edge Moor Bridge Works of Wilmington, Delaware (Truss, 1896)
- Virginia Bridge & Iron Co. of Roanoke, Virginia (Approach trestles, 1932) [also known as Virginia Bridge Co.]
- - Central Pacific Railway (CPRR)
- Niles Canyon Railway (NCRy)
- Southern Pacific Railroad (SP)
- Western Pacific Railroad (1862-1870) (WPRB)
- The original wooden covered Howe truss was replaced by the current pin connected Pratt truss in 1896.
Piers built by Western Pacific Railroad in 1865-66
Truss by Edge Moor Bridge Works, Edge Moor, MD, 1896
Approach trestles replaced by American Bridge, Toledo OH, 1905, and Virginia Bridge & Iron, Roanoke VA, 1932
Length of largest span: 97.5 ft.
Total length: 448.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 22.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.59763, -121.94714 (decimal degrees)
37°35'51" N, 121°56'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/592942/4161693 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T .4 S, R.1 W, sec 11
- 150 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- CA 33-35 (California bridge number)
BH 43058 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 5, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- June 19, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- January 23, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Merged NBI data.
- April 4, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: Corrected location, added street view and photos
- February 17, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: Corrected GPS coordinates
- July 23, 2009: Added by Alan Frank