Photos taken Sept. 2001 and provided by the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department
BH Photo #100564
The 400-foot, double-cantilevered bridge at Newport was a major construction project in 1929-30. The bridge, along with two similar bridges at Augusta and Clarendon, Arkansas, was designed by renowned bridge engineer Ira G. Hedrick, and became part of a main interstate highway route.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
Compiled by James Baughn
- June 1928
- Congress approved construction of bridge at Newport
- 11May 1, 1929
- War Department finally gave approval for the bridge to be built over the navigable White River
- May 15, 1929
- Bids received for construction of bridge and approaches
- Sept. 10, 1930
- Two-day festival held to celebrate the bridge's completion
- Sept. 18, 1930
- Bridge officially opened to traffic, with a 50 cent toll for automobiles
- Apr. 1, 1938
- Tolls removed ahead of schedule thanks to a special Federal funding program
- May 26, 1938
- Another festival held to celebrate removal of tolls
- Cantilevered through truss bridge on AR 367 (formerly US 67) over White River at Newport
- Jackson County, Arkansas
- Open to two-lane traffic
- Future prospects
- Replacement bridge under construction as of July 2020.
- Built 1930
- - Ira G. Hedrick of West Salem, Illinois
- List & Weatherly Construction Co. of Kansas City, Missouri
- Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co. of Leavenworth, Kansas
- Cantilevered Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 400.0 ft.
Total length: 2,830.3 ft. (0.5 mi.)
Deck width: 23.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.60618, -91.28839 (decimal degrees)
35°36'22" N, 91°17'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/655033/3941617 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- AHTD 00612 (Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept. bridge number)
NRHP 90000503 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
AHTD 612 (Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept. bridge number)
BH 10388 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 20 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- September 21, 2020: New photo from Joel
- May 5, 2018: New photos from Leslie Sessums
- November 17, 2016: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated status to note new bridge is under construction.
- September 15, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Riveted"
- June 24, 2016: Updated by David Backlin: Available for Reuse
- January 26, 2015: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- February 28, 2014: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- April 24, 2012: Updated by David Backlin: Scheduled for replacement
- March 5, 2011: New Street View added by J.P.
- January 18, 2005: Posted AHTD photos