Black Warrior Toll Bridge
This modern concrete stringer bridge is notable at both a state and national level as one of a dropping number of privately-owned toll bridges in the United States - where a private operator maintains the bridge and approach roadways solely with toll dollars and donations without any tax revenue or state assistance. Additionally, the Western Bypass Bridge is one of four such facilities within the state of Alabama - the others being the Emerald Mountain Toll Bridge, the Foley Beach Express Bridge, and the Alabama River Toll Bridge.
All four Alabama toll bridges are privately maintained by American Roads, LLC. Despite being under private ownership, electronic toll collection is accepted, although the transponders used (FreedomPass) were created by American Roads and not by ALDOT and therefore only work in Alabama and are not interoperable with any other toll facility.
- Concrete stringer bridge over Black Warrior River on Joe Mallisham Parkway (Tuscaloosa West Bypass)
- Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
- Open to traffic
- Built 1998
- - American Roads, LLC
- Concrete stringer
Length of largest span: 250.0 ft.
Total length: 961.0 ft.
Deck width: 59.7 ft.
- Also called
- Tuscaloosa Western Bypass Bridge
West Bypass Toll Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.19813, -87.62702 (decimal degrees)
33°11'53" N, 87°37'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/441557/3673426 (zone/easting/northing)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
- Inventory numbers
- AL 17328 (Alabama bridge number)
BH 89422 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 81.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 26, 2020: Added by Nick Boppel
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com