Upper Hurricane Road Bridge
Photo taken by Ben Tate in June 2012
BH Photo #233996
Additional History: Probate judge of Madison County, Judge Lawler, was murdered and thrown off of this bridge in 1916.
Location Information: The current location of this bridge is now in Sharon Johnston Park in city of New Market. Estimated bridge location based on visual review of TV News Reports: 34.896302, -86.445062
- Pony truss bridge over Hurricane Creek on Upper Hurricane Road
- Madison County, Alabama
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1910 near Ditto Landing; moved to Upper Hurricane Road in 1960s; moved to Sharon Johnston Park August 13, 2019.
- Warren pony truss with all verticals
Span length: 50.9 ft.
Total length: 50.9 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.91922, -86.35883 (decimal degrees)
34°55'09" N, 86°21'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/558565/3864272 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- King Cove
- Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
- Inventory numbers
- AL 18 (Alabama bridge number)
BH 10171 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 24.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 15, 2019: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge history, construction date, status of relocation.
- June 24, 2012: New photo from Ben Tate
- September 6, 2011: Updated by Ben Tate: fixed coordinates