Old Railroad Bridge
Looking from Florence side by Dave Reasons (harley130).
The Old Railroad Bridge
Photo taken by Dave Reasons
View this photo on Flickr
BH Photo #168969
One of the oldest combination vehicular and railroad bridges in Alabama, the Tennessee River Railroad Bridge played a significant role in the early agricultural and industrial development of the Tennessee Valley and specifically of the Quad-City area (Florence, Tuscumbia, Sheffield, Muscle Shoals). During the early part of the Civil War, it was of primary importance in transporting Confederate troops to the Battles of Shiloh and Corinth to various points strategic to the defense of Western Tennessee. After the bridge was rebuilt in 1870, its use was instrumental in recovery from Reconstruction. After the 1930's, it contributed to the prosperity engendered by creation of the Tennessee Valley Authority.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Warren through truss bridge over Tennessee River on Old Railroad Bridge Trail
- Florence, Lauderdale County, Alabama, and Colbert County, Alabama
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1893; Modified 1895, 1906, & 1962; Lift span relocated 1990
- - Detroit Bridge Co. of Detroit, Michigan
- Edge Moor Bridge Works of Wilmington, Delaware
- Phoenix Bridge Co. of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
- - Alabama Power Co. (APOX)
- Commonwealth & Southern Corp.
- Memphis & Charleston Railroad
- Sheffield Company
- Sheffield Street Railway
- Southeastern Power & Light Co.
- Southern Railway (SOU)
- Also called
- Southern - Tennessee River Bridge
NS - Tennessee River Bridge
M&C - Tennessee River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.78178, -87.66835 (decimal degrees)
34°46'54" N, 87°40'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/438849/3849047 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 45572 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 31, 2022: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- May 20, 2022: Updated by Douglas Butler: Actual photo found on North alabama Railroad Club
- November 5, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- February 25, 2015: New photo from Douglas Butler
- February 24, 2015: Updated by Luke: Added cities & categories.
- January 10, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "HAER documented", "Memphis and Charleston Railroad", "Edge Moor Bridge Works", "Phoenix Bridge Co."
- August 3, 2011: New photos from Ben Tate
- August 22, 2010: New photos from James McCray
- July 2, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- July 1, 2010: Added by Dave Reasons