Frank A. Hewitt Bridge
Photo taken by Ben Tate in January 2011
BH Photo #205761
"The Frank A. Hewitt Bridge (also called Buckshort Bridge, Buck Short Bridge or the Locust Fork River Bridge (AL 12678) is a riveted steel truss bridge carrying Mount Olive Road (Jefferson County Road 77) over the Locust Fork of the Warrior River just above White's Creek, north of Mount Olive and west of Morris. The bridge's primary span is 238 feet, while the total length of the bridge deck is about 600 feet.
The bridge was dedicated in 1955 in honor of Frank Hewitt, a former member of the Jefferson County Board of Revenue and Jefferson County Treasurer who died in 1943.
In 1982 the Jefferson County Public Works Department estimated that it would cost $1.3 million to repair deteriorating supports under the bridge. An alternative plan, to move the superstructure to new supports constructed a few feet away and reroute the approaches, cost about $520,000. The move was made in July of that year.
In 2016, construction began on a new bridge to replace the 1955 structure. The new bridge was completed and opened to traffic in August 2018. The new bridge was constructed just upstream of the old bridge. It is also wider, with 12-foot wide lanes and 10-foot shoulders, providing a 44-foot driving surface, versus the 28-foot width of the old bridge. The old bridge was subsequently demolished and removed from the site."
- Through truss bridge over Locust Fork River on Mt. Olive Road
- Jefferson County, Alabama
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1955; rehabilitated 1982; demolished 2018
- Riveted Parker through truss with through plate girder approach spans.
Length of largest span: 237.9 ft.
Total length: 603.0 ft.
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.0 ft.
- Also called
- Buck Short Bridge
Locust Fork River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.74418, -86.91804 (decimal degrees)
33°44'39" N, 86°55'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/507591/3733794 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 15 S., R. 4 W., Sec. 11
- 310 ft. above sea level
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- AL 12678 (Alabama bridge number)
BH 36068 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 47.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 24, 2021: New photo from Josh Schmid
- February 10, 2020: New photo from Ben Tate
- July 28, 2011: Updated by Ben Tate: Changed name to match name plate on bridge
- June 16, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge type and GPS.