LN - Tumlin Gap Tunnel
Abandoned tunnel on L&N route; construction finished in 1903. When the line was abandoned, a rails-to-trails grant was put forward, but local landowners contested this in court; sadly the landowners prevailed, and they blocked off much of the tunnel and destroyed a large wooden trestle to prevent people from visiting this historic route.
- Etowah County, Alabama
- Built c.1903, abandoned a few decades ago
- - Louisville & Nashville Railroad (LN)
Total length: 1,920.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.01158, -86.26109 (decimal degrees)
34°00'42" N, 86°15'40" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/568228/3763685 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 60707 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 18, 2014: Added by Zachary S