In 1932, President Herbert Hoover withdrew the Beartooth Highway corridor from settlement and sale, and reserved it as an approach road to Yellowstone National Park. Construction funds from the newly passed National Park Approaches Act, which became law in 1931, were used to build the road. Some sources state that this bridge was built in 1932. The bridge is one of five original bridges that remain along the Beartooth Highway.
In 1974 when a new bridge was completed downstream, this bridge with a short segment of roadway was bypassed and converted to a trail.
HAER documentation for the Beartooth Highway can be found http://loc.gov/pictures/item/wy0518/, listed as HAER WY-92 in Wyoming and MT-126 (MT0456) in Montana.
In 2014 the highway, which is considered nationally significant for its distinctive engineering and the methods of high-altitude road construction used in its construction, was listed in the National Register as the Red Lodge – Cooke City Approach Road Historic District. This bridge, along with the four other remaining original bridges, has also been determined to be individually eligible for the National Register.