Cheat River Covered Bridge
Historic postcard photo
Postcard submitted by Tom Hoffman
Designed by famed bridge builder Louis Wernwag and built in 1835 for the Northwest Turnpike Company by Josiah Kidwell. On April 27, 1863 two thousand Confederate troops under the command of Gen. William Jones crossed the bridge, after which they removed the flooring out of one of the lanes. The wood flooring wasn't replaced until after the war. In 1932 a new 3-span steel bridge was started nearby and by 1934 the old bridge had closed to traffic. It stood as a West Virginia state relic until it was destroyed by fire on May 23, 1964.
- Lost Bridge over Cheat River on U.S. Route 50
- Preston County, West Virginia
- Destroyed by fire in 1964
- Built in 1835 by Josiah Kidwell, bypassed by a new bridge in 1932, destroyed by fire in 1964.
- - Josiah Kidwell (builder)
- Lewis Wernwag (designer)
- May have been a Wernwag Truss.
Total length: 339.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.31944, -79.65664 (decimal degrees)
39°19'10" N, 79°39'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/615801/4353085 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory number
- BH 52704 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 23, 2012: Added by Tony Dillon