Chessie - Rowlesburg Bridge
The B&O built bridges on this site in 1851 and 1873, the last being this one circa 1910.
Photo taken by William E. Barrett, Photographer, 1974, for HAER.
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #153602
The Rowlesburg Bridge is a typical example of an early 20th century riveted Warren Truss bridge. This bridge is the third on this site, the two previous being a Bollman Truss bridge (1870) and a Fink Truss bridge (1851).
- Warren through truss bridge over Cheat River on CSX Railroad
- Rowlesburg, Preston County, West Virginia
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built ca. 1910; lost to a washout in 1985
- - Albert Fink of Lauterbach, Hesse, Germany
- - Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O; BO)
- Chessie System
- Riveted Warren truss
Length of largest span: 160.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.34834, -79.66632 (decimal degrees)
39°20'54" N, 79°39'59" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/614919/4356281 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 43965 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 7, 2019: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- October 16, 2016: New photo from Dave King
- November 14, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Bridge has been replaced by a deck girder
- January 30, 2010: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- HAER WV-13 - Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Rowelsburg Bridge, Spanning Cheat River, Rowelsburg vicinity, Preston County, WV
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs