Hi Carpenter Bridge (old)
Photo taken by Royce and Bobette Haley in July 2016
BH Photo #358488
This bridge was the identical twin to the Silver Bridge in downstream Point Pleasant, which collapsed on December 15, 1967, killing 46 people. This identical bridge, designed and built by the same engineers and contractors, was considered dangerous and was immediately closed and its main span demolished.
This truss approach span with a ramp down from the original bridge, was still useful to reach Middle Island, the largest of the 22 islands in the Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge. The island is one of only two in the refuge connected to the mainland with bridges, providing access to 3.5 miles of hiking and biking trails, a 1.6-mile auto trail with interpretive signs posted at pull-off areas, abundant fishing access and a wildlife viewing blind overlooking a wetland. So it was kept in 1971, and a project is now underway to rehabilitate this original approach truss span. The ramp down from it will be replaced with a new ramp with a more gradual curve, so it can be negotiated by longer vehicles such as school buses.
The NBI dimensions do not appear to be accurate. Judging from the scale on Google Satellite View, it is about 100 feet long.
- Lost eyebar suspension bridge over Ohio River. Remaining truss approach span crosses Ohio River Back Channel on CR 2/10 in St. Marys
- St. Marys, Pleasants County, West Virginia, and Washington County, Ohio
- Main span demolished; approach span open to traffic and posted for load
- Future prospects
- Remaining truss approach span scheduled for rehabilitation, with replacement of ramp down to island.
- Built 1928; main span demolished 1971; truss approach span remains open today
- Eyebar suspension main span with Pratt through truss approach span
Length of largest span: 212.9 ft.
Total length: 457.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Ohio River Back Channel Bridge
Clarksburg-Columbus Short Route Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.39099, -81.20844 (decimal degrees)
39°23'28" N, 81°12'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/482050/4360187 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Raven Rock
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory number
- BH 35451 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 37 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- October 16, 2019: Updated by Roger Deschner: Renamed to name used by WVDOT. This was part of a much larger original bridge.
- January 31, 2018: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- July 13, 2016: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley